Tuesday, July 14, 2015

To Be Nine Again...


Happy Tuesday ...I have a card (a baby card for a co-worker not tied to any challenge!)...and then I have a Marcel post for you.  People ask me all the time, did you keep trying to have a girl?  And my consistent answer is no.  I simply didn't feel done after Collin was born or maybe better stated, I didn't feel like our family was complete.  Sometimes I feel as though people don't understand that as a parent your heart can swell with love for the child you never had, the child you may have lost or all the children you do have.  My heart swells with love for my boys...each for their unique personalities.  Man oh man did I never realize how much love could be inside me for my children.

So...today I'm going to chat about Marcel. That little man (who really isn't that little, but will always be my little man) makes my heart swell and who has a personality that connects people to his heart. Here's a few of my favorites about Marcel at nine years old:
  • Mom, "When I get older, I think I'm going to help people with heart problems. And I think Collin will be a cooker at a fast food restaurant."  So why does he talk about helping people with heart problems?  One of Marcel's best friends is Bobby.  Bobby was born with down syndrome. To Marcel, down syndrome doesn't mean a thing.  To him it means, Bobby has a heart problem. He loves Bobby with all his heart.  I would love to see Marcel grow up to "help people with heart problems". 
  • He's in Peter Pan this week and next and he LOVES being on stage.  In his words, "I have lots of lyrics this year."  Comparing himself to last year in Oliver, he has about 10 to 12 lines versus one (love that he calls lines "lyrics").  Throughout the whole performance he smiles; even when Hook is yelling at the Lost Boys, Because he is so happy being on stage...he smiles through the whole thing. I wish I could learn that 9 year old lesson. Smile away...when you're happy smile, smile away!  
  • He loves music.  He will write out the lyrics to his favorite songs one of which Ryan's show choir sang this year (Twenty One Guns by Green Day). Or he'll share with me, Mom, "Have you listed to the new Twenty One Pilots song?  My  number one wish is that I could get an autograph by Twenty One Pilots."  Of course, this made Ryan's day because Marcel is following his musical taste.
  • Conversations with him are hilarious.  He loves vocabulary...now he wouldn't say that he loves vocabulary, but if he doesn't know what a word means, he will definitely ask, remember it and use it in proper contact. Here are a few recent examples:
    • "Mom, I went to get Collin from Jake's, but he is slow as a sloth."  Asked him what a sloth was, "I don't know, but it makes sense, doesn't it?!"
    • "Or...tomorrow night, the elderlies are coming to watch Peter Pan."  The folks from the local nurse home were coming to watch the show.  We are wondering when you go from being old to being an elderly and decided we might now want to know his answer.
    • Pat and I are regularly trading texts about him.  The most recent was Marcel saying, "Screwing is not my thing."  That sounds really off color and Pat was dying laughing, but he was talking about unscrewing a bottle.  
  • He may not want to hold my hand very often, but he still loves a kiss good bye or a kiss good night or a cuddle on the couch. Oh how I cherish those moments.
My little man simply makes my heart swell. Here's a picture of him in action at Peter Pan.

And yes..I realize I posted a baby card for a girl...subliminal...not sure!

17 comments:

Hannelie said...

I loved reading about Marcel Lynn. He sounds like a really sweet guy ! So true how each child holds a special place in one's heart!
I love your adorable baby card.

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Oh to be 9... not subliminal :)

Vicki Dutcher said...

What an enjoyable post - it is fun to hear about your boys, and the love you have for them. Very sweet card too ;)

Chrissy Larson said...

This post made me grin from ear to ear (much like most of your posts). I love hearing about your amazing boys. Marcel is such a cutie and I LOVE these sweet little notes on him. Oh, the card is awesome too. He he he!

I Card Everyone said...

Swell away, Lynne... Marcel is very entertaining! As a mother of three, with only one son, I totally 'get' this! Darling card, as well...
=] Michele

Barb said...

I adore this post, Lynn! Your love for Marcel (and all your boys) always shines through! Thank you for sharing - you've put into words just how I feel about my two boys, as well. No matter how old they get, our love for them never stops growing! ♥

Lisa Elton said...

Cute little card, but it can't compare to your little man!!

Jennifer K said...

Your Marcel sounds like a treasure and he has awesome parents that helped form him into the young man he is becoming. Your pride is well placed!

Tracey McNeely said...

Oh Lynn, my heart swells from reading a beautiful post from a fabulous mom who loves her boys with every ounce of her heart! Oh Marcel sounds like such a lovely boy that will surely grow into an exceptional man! I used to work with a man who had four daughters! People would ask him all the time the same questions you have been asked and his answer was always the same--I feel blessed to have four beautiful and unique girls and couldn't imagine it any other way! Fantastic take on the subliminal--lol

Judith said...

You are a lucky mother, Lynn! I love it when you write about your sweet boys (sorry, guys, I meant cool ((-;)
You and Pat must be very proud. Thank you for sharing your family life with us!!!

About this cute card: sometimes we need pink ((-;
Greetings from a mother of three boys (smile)
Judith

Bobby said...

I'm so glad you write these things down, Lynn, because, speaking from experience, if you don't you will forget them later. As Art Linkletter once proved, Kids say the darndest things" and that's what makes them so endearing.

Anita in France said...

Lovely post, Lynn ... your pride in Marcel shines through every single word (and letter!) ... he sounds such a wonderful little man! Sweet card! Anita :)

Marisa said...

What a precious boy :) They grow up so quickly and it is such a joy to be able to treasure all the special things they do in your mama heart.

Jinny Newlin said...

I love that you're so happy with four boys! I have a friend with five, and she says the same thing... I always felt like, and still feel like, I was just another girl on my parents' way to their boy; so I know first-hand that all your boys, no doubt, love this post. I'm working on a baby girl card right now... Thanks for the darling inspiration! Love that chocolate brown!

mamia (me and mine in Alabama) said...

Lynn, loved this post and you so nailed that love that a mom has for all her kids. I love all my kids the same but they all have a different little spot of my heart as well. We gained a new little one recently who was four years old when we got her and although I missed out on so much with her, she already has that special piece of my heart.

mamia (me and mine in Alabama) said...

Lynn, loved this post and you so nailed that love that a mom has for all her kids. I love all my kids the same but they all have a different little spot of my heart as well. We gained a new little one recently who was four years old when we got her and although I missed out on so much with her, she already has that special piece of my heart.

mamia (me and mine in Alabama) said...

Lynn, loved this post and you so nailed that love that a mom has for all her kids. I love all my kids the same but they all have a different little spot of my heart as well. We gained a new little one recently who was four years old when we got her and although I missed out on so much with her, she already has that special piece of my heart.