Saturday, November 7, 2009

Growing Up Before My Eyes



I love all of my boys...and there are days when I think I really can't love them more, but my heart is constantly expanding with my love for them.

Ryan is growing up before my eyes and I love the young man he is becoming. I feel like the time is passing so quickly and some days just want to freeze frame time!

So how is he changing?  Some physical changes...and some personality changes.
  • He's getting a little peach fuzz on his upper lip.  When I asked him what he wanted to do about it, "Mom, just tell me when I need to shave it and how to shave it...buy me a razor or one of those other shaver things and I'll do it."
  • He's getting taller.  His shoe size is now a size 7.5 - 1.5 sizes smaller than Pat.
  • He gets up every morning before school to take a shower.  Sets his own alarm.  "Mom, I want an alarm clock so that I can get up and watch SportsCenter, take a shower and eat breakfast.  Then, I'm really awake when I get to school."  Hmm...is it really that or when I've shared this with others...is there an interest in girls?  I'm happy not to have to argue about taking a shower and wearing deodorant!
  • He makes his bed everyday and his room is clean.  This is a change from 12 months ago...when our conversation was, "God help the person he marries...he is a complete and utter slob."
  • He has been helping tons around the house with very little complaint.
  • He does his homework without being reminded. He knows what days he has more to do after school and plans for it. On nights when he needs to, he works for hours without complaint.  Last year it was a constant battle.
  • His planner is complete and is neat!  Last year it was empty or very messy!
  • He wants to do well in school.
Ryan's best trait is his sense of the big picture of life.  He's always had this and continues to have it.   He's not afraid to share how he is feeling.  I'll never forget when my dad died.  The first thing Ryan said to me was, "Mom, it's okay."  "Why?"  "God takes good people to heaven so that he can make new people."  The circle of life...how at seven years old did Ryan have such wisdom?  We talk all the time about how your family will always be there for you and that friends may come and go.  He knows to count on family and can articulate which friends he can truly count on too.  I love that Ryan can see this.

I hope and dream for all of my children that they are happy and know what it means to truly love someone.   Ryan is well on his way...may he continue to grow into a beautiful young man. I love him more than he could ever know.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I love hearing about the boy to manhood transition - a ways off for our household. But I'm really posting to wish you a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! I'm so glad to know you Lynn. You are a fantastic person with so many giftings I see through this blog and at work!