Saturday, April 14, 2012

Just Us Girls: Technique Challenge - Sponge a Layer

Sponge a layer...huh?  What's that you ask?  Well, we have the tutorial just for you...and I have to say, it is one of my favorite techniques I have tried so far with the Just Us Girls team.  Thanks Lisa for an awesome technique for us to try.  Since I made the card for the challenge, I also tried it here and here (if you'd like to take a peak for more inspiration!)  This week's challenge also gave me a new resource on the Gina K site.  There are all kinds of fun tutorials over there.  I kept my sponge layer very simple. I masked off the top and bottom portion of the card with large post-it notes and inked it up with my Ranger Distress ink.  Love the various shades of blue it creates...and am very happy with the sweet little baby card! I'd love to see what you create. It would also be fun to try with different shades of ink.
Please stop by and check out the gorgeous creations from the other design team members!

20 comments:

Barb said...

Wonderful masking, Lynn! Love the blue, white and black combo and that fabulous star! :)

Deb said...

Love the masking and sponge layer! You nailed this technique. A lovely baby boy card!

Jay Gee said...

Your sponged layer is fantastic Lynn - the perfect amount of colour for this sweet card :)

Christina said...

Super sweet, Lynn! I love that soft blue with the black accents.

Lisa Kind said...

So glad you liked this technique, Lynn! I thought it was cool when I first saw Gina doing it on her video. Your card is so pretty! Love the color of your sponging and the star with the tail behind is the perfect embellishment! So pretty!

Kara said...

very cool!! you made sponging look modern and fresh!! love it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing another great idea, Lynn! What a sweet card!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

What a great challenge... I've done this technique before, but should try my hand at it again...

Vicki Dutcher said...

Gorgeous creation with the technique! I like the trail from your star!

Maureen said...

Love the varying shades of blue too! This sweet card would be easy to recreate in any colour! Just put my stars set into a case and thought of you :) My lovely "Lynn" card is on my display shelf still making me smile :)

Dana Gustafson said...

So stinkin CUTE! I love the swirly trails over your pretty blue!

Laurie said...

Lynn this is really pretty! I love the blue star!

Karen B. said...

Oh now this looks cool. Your CAS fabulous card makes me even think I can try this technique!

Emily Leiphart said...

Wow, if I hadn't read it, I never would've guessed that strip was sponged. It looks fantastic and I love the trails for your star!

The Paper Parade said...

That blue is so serene, and your sponging is perfect! It looks like a heavenly scene.

Jen W. said...

A super sweet baby card, Lynn, and your masking is so perfect!

Arlene said...

LOVE this card. Simply beautiful.

Lisa Arana said...

Gorgeous, just look at that stunning blue! Love how that technique turned out for you.

Jenny said...

Just fantastic Lynn, I love the sentiment too :0)
Is sponging the new misting though???
Surely there's room for them both :0)
Jenny x

Elise said...

This IS a really beautiful technique, Lynn, and as ALWAYS, you showcased it SO expertly, I'm all ready to get busy AGAIN! Kind of addiciting, actually! FANTASTIC inspo, dear crafty babe! Yipeeee!