Monday, August 16, 2010

When Your Heart Breaks For Them...

...my sweet Jonathon, who is all about karate, had testing for his brown belt this weekend.  He's red belt...next is brown...and then black.  Brown belt is the first time they break boards in order to go to achieve their next belt.  Jonathon didn't pass. He didn't break the two boards he needed to and he was the first to go of about twenty children testing.   And he took it so hard (and we did too).  Certainly in the scheme of life worse things will happen.  And I have to appreciate his first comments to me after getting changed when we got home.  Through tears..."Mom...I'll do it next time.  You know how I know I will?"  "How honey?"  "I have all my broken boards in my room to remind me."  Oh sweet boy...I know you'll do it next time.

Now onto my Stampin' 411 card for this week.  I love this new SU Hostess Set...perfect for a monochromatic card....and I'll mention again...Crumb Cake is my favorite new SU color!
Ingredients:  SU Mellow Moss Paper/Ink, Sahara Sand Paper, SU Hostess Set, PTI Mega Mixed Messages and Fillable Frames, Hero Arts Script Stamp

And my next card to share today is for the CASE Study Challenge.  Congrats to Chupa for kicking off this challenge and to the fabulous design team.  If you look closely at this card you can see where I embossed the paper pieces with various polka dot sizes. 
Ingredients:  Bazzill Basics Paper; SU Very Vanilla, Hero Arts Stamps; PTI Ribbon, Kaiser Kraft Pearls

Happy dance this weekend too...Fab 4 for both the Play Date Cafe and the Wee Memories Challenge last week!  Happy creating everyone!

21 comments:

  1. Awww, Lynn I'm so sorry that your sweet boy didn't get pass his grading :o(
    I love that he has the best attitude and is ready to get back on the horse after he's fallen off (if you know what I mean!?) So tough to see them go through it but it's a great learning experience for life!
    Now I love your cards; the first is so calming and beautiful. Your last one really makes me smile - love that stitching!
    Hugs,
    Aimes
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S Thanks so much for taking part in the first CASE study too! Hugs x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear the sad news, Lynn... I'm sure your boy will have it all next time!
    Both cards are super awesome, and I love what you did with the CASE Study card - it's fun, unique and simply gorgeous! Thanks you so much for playing along with us, and for your kind words - please come back next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He will absolutely do it next time. Thinking of Jonathan..... and these are gorgeous Lynn. I love the border punch on the first card, and your use of all the elements together! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh, the Mom in us makes us want to fix everything and the things we can't fix are usually harder for us than for our kids. When he does break that board his happiness will out weigh the disappointment of the first time. Beautiful cards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the border punch, soft colors and the beautifully framed sentiment on the first card! Good luck to Jonathon for next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both my son and husband are in TKD, and I know how hard it is to break those boards. Jonathan has a wonderful attitude...he will get it next time!!!

    Your card is lovely. I like how you used only one shade of ink. It's perfect for a sympathy card....serene!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The monochromatic sympathy card is just PERFECT! And I love the birthday card, it has a wonderful playful feel :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. aw, what a sweet story!!! I love when they say such profound things for their age :) Gorgeous cards!!! wow!! Love the serenity of the first and the fun stitching on the second :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jonathan will do it next time....he sounds like a truly sweet child. I know you're proud of his sweetness and attitude.
    Your cards are lovely. I like both of them. One so serene and beautiful and the other so with it!!! Love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lynn - I love the tone=on=tone look to this card. So serene and beautiful -- perfect for a sympathy card! You did a great job with this week's Stamping 411 sketch. Thanks for playing along with the Operators! Blessings, Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so pretty! Love them!! Great story so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful cards, Lynne! I love the monochromatic look of the first card, what a lovely shade of green! And the second card is just adorable, I love the whimsey stitching along the sides and that great birth day cake design! Good luck to your little one, some of the hardest lessons in life are when you're the parent!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Arent kids just motivating Lynne, you have a real treasure in him!! Fabulous cards, you certainly have a great eye for detail!! Congratulations on your win at CASE study, defiantely a worthy winner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!! both cards are super fabulous! Beautiful details and designs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both cards are so pretty but I really love the Stamping 411 one!! It is totally awesome!! Thanks for playing along with us this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The stitching is just so fabbie! Great card!
    p.s. keep at it Jonathan!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous cards as always Lynn! I too love Crumb Cake and could use it everyday!
    Kudos to Jonathan for not giving up! He'll make it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous cards! I especially like the monochromatic look! Poor little one...he will do it next time! Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow You are on a roll!!!!!!! two grgeous cards and top picked for both! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your 2nd card here really inspired me! See here.

    ReplyDelete