Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Versamark Tutorial

Hello there! The fabulous SU Demonstrators on the Stampin’ 411 Blog asked me to do a tutorial! I got to choose the topic and I picked Versamark. If you’re anything like me, you’re always looking for ways to stretch your crafting supplies. Versamark is the perfect addition! I’m going to share three ways to use your Versamark.

Tone on Tone…

First up is tone on tone. Ever get frustrated that you don’t have a stamp color to match your paper? Versamark quickly stamps and makes the stamp just a shade darker than the color of your paper….the best part…it always match!

Here’s a quick example:

To get started pull out your Versamark, paper and stamp of your choice.
For this card, I decided to use one of my favorite stamp sets Tart & Tangy and make some oranges, lemons and limes in different colors. Versamark dries pretty quickly and if you touch it doesn’t really mess up like crafting ink. After stamping the circles, I punched them with a 1 ¼” circle punch and cut a few of them in half. Don’t you love the colors this creates? Six different colors and only one ink!
To finish off the card, I stamped the sentiment in Tangerine Tango, embossed the white layer and added some ribbon. The full circle fruit was adhered with adhesive and the half fruit was applied with a Stampin’ Dimensional (another one of my favorite supplies!).

Card Dimensions: Base of card: 5 ½ x 8 ½”; White layer: 5 ¼” x 4”
Stamps: Tart & Tangy, Short & Sweet
Ink: Versamark and Tangerine Tango

Paper: Whisper White, Tangerine Tango, Only Orange, Wild Wasabi, Certainly Celery, Daffodil Delight, So Saffron;

Ribbon: SU Pumpkin Pie;

Accessories: large dots texture plate for the Big Shot


Chalking with Your Versamarks

Another great way to use your Versamark is my utilizing your chalk. To get started, decide on what paper you’d like to use along with the stamp.
I utilized my Pocket Silhouette to stamp all the way across the card. After stamping, I dabbed the cotton ball in the various orange, yellow and reds to dab lightly on top of the Versamark. The Versamark is very forgiving so if you add too much of one color, dab the cotton ball in the color you’d like more of and go back over the Versamark. Here’s the end result:
Card dimensions: Base: 6 ½“ by 6 ½”; Second Layer: 6 ¼“ by 3”; Third Layer: 6” by 2 ¾“
Stamps: Pocket Silhouettes and Short & Sweet
Ink: Versamark and Pumpkin Pie
Paper: So Saffron, Pumpkin Pie and Very Vanilla
Accessories: Pumpkin Pie Ribbon

Creating a Monochromatic Background/Embossing

Versamark is also great for heat embossing. If you’re like me, you may not have a lot of embossing powders or embossing inks. Versamark with clear embossing powder allows you to expand the colors that you emboss.

For this card, I started with the background paper in Marina Mist.
I stamped the entire background with the scroll stamp from the Elements of Style stamps. I then applied clear embossing powder and heated it with my heat gun. The end result was the beautiful background.
To finish up the card, I stamped the other images on the front panel with Baja Breeze and Marina Mist.
Card Dimensions: Base: 5 ½” by 8 ½”, Second Layer: 5 ¼” by 4”; Third Layer; 4 ½” x 3 ½”; Fourth layer: 4 ¼” x 3 ¼”

Stamps: Elements of Style

Ink: Versamark, Baja Breeze and Marina Mist

Paper: Marina Mist, Baja Breeze and Whisper White; ;

Accessories: Embossing Powder, Clear
Hope you enjoyed the tutorial! Are you ready to go try out Versamark?!!  Be sure to stop over to the Stampin' 411 Blog...so much wonderful inspiration every week!

12 comments:

Karen B. said...

Great tutorial, and wow, your sample cards are simply fantastic!

Aimes said...

Ahhhh Versamark - where would I be without it! It's one of my must haves for crafting! Thanks for the tips - it's been ages since I experimented with chalks and Versamark so I might just give that a go!
Hugs,
Aimes
x

Selene Kempton said...

You did such a beautiful job! Thank you so much for sharing your talents with us.. and you should check out the 411 site.. the comments are rolling in for you! ((((hugs)))

Ida said...

Great tutorial and ideas. All your cards were wonderful. Love the fresh, bright feel of the Citrus card, the soft, warm feel of the chalk card and the elegance of the embossed card.

Diane Jaquay said...

So much awesomeness in one little post Lynn! All of your cards are beautiful! I particularly love the citrus card, so FRESH and sunny!!!

thestampinglady said...

Just read about you on 411 and read the tutorial as well. Thanks for the reminder of some techs that seem to get put on the back shelf and not used for a long time. I will be casing that pocket silhouette card--love it!

Patti Chesky said...

Wonderful techniques Lynn! Your sample cards are gorgeous too! We love having you play along every week. Hugs from the operators.....

Debbie said...

WOW!What wonderful cards. I can't wait to try your techniques. Just beautiful.
I seem to forget I have that ink pad.

thanks so much for sharing,
Debbie Reaves
(New SU! demo)

mamia (me and mine in Alabama) said...

Loved your tutorial and your samples are awesome!

Terri Chadwick said...

LOVED your tutorial on versamark. The pastels suggestion.... I never knew you could do that!!! Thanks sooooo much!
Terri

Unknown said...

AWESOME!!! I left you a comment over on the Stamping 411 Blog but thought I would tell you here too!!! Love this and you have inspired me to use my versamark more often too!!

Emily Leiphart said...

Lynn, what a fabulous tutorial! I love all three of your cards - no surprise!