Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy Memorial Day

We've been having a very lazy day here.  We have two early risers in our clan and two sleepy heads...fortunately for us even our early risers slept in until about 8 today.  Extra nice for me!

After we got moving, I decided to go out to my dad's grave.  He was not a veteran, but certainly was my hero.  The three littlest boys came out with me.  Marcel has a hard time understanding what it means for someone to have passed away.  The exact conversation as we pull into the cemetery.  Me: "We're going to Grandad's grave."  Marcel, "He's dead.  Where is he?  He's under the grass."  He asked and answered himself.  Nothing like a four year old to state the facts.  And then Jonathon chimes in, "Marcel, he's in heaven."  Not to be irreverent, but I know my dad would have chuckled at Marcel's frankness. 

I then asked Jonathon to explain Memorial Day to Collin and Marcel.   "Memorial Day is where we remember the soldiers who fought to keep America free."  Taking them to the cemetery today was a perfect tribute for them to see the flags on so many grave sites. We placed flowers on my dad's grave, said the Our Father and a prayer at the grave of a young soldier from our community who passed away.  I hope the boys left with a little more understanding of Memorial Day and am wishing you all a peace filled Memorial Day. 

I leave with a quick card, "Thinking of You" as I think of my dad and military families.  I followed Alicia's Just Us Girls challenge this week to dry emboss.  The cream layer in the back is dry embossed.  This card is very vintagey for my normally preppy style! 

Ingredients:  October Afternoon Thrift Store DSP; SU Very Vanilla Ribbon, Rub-Ons, Real Read and Very Vanilla Paper; Making Memories Flowers; PTI Buttons

4 comments:

Ida said...

Wonderful card. I love that color scheme (it always looks fantastic).
Enjoyed hearing about sharing with your children the meaning of Memorial Day and visiting graves of loved ones.
I have a post here: http://wishesdreamsandotherthings.blogspot.com/2010/05/flowers-of-remembrance.html

That shares something similiar. I hope you will take time to read it. Coleen (my granddaughter is 5)

Teresa Kline said...

this is gorgeous, I luv the colors and style...have a wonderful week!

enjoy *~*

Unknown said...

Beautiful! What a great posting.

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous card Lynn! Love the color combo & the embossing looks great! Thanks for playing along with Just Us Girls :)